Monday, June 15, 2009

Framework to Plan

Over the past few months I've really attuned my training to focusing on the basics. Thats it, the basics. I find basics in just about everything I do, be it the elements of the flower sweep or the collar choke from mount. My training has consisted of drilling these basics until I feel the mojo happening, and then drilling some more. It has been hard to find someone that is willing to drill like a mad man until we have it perfect. But I just pull someone from the mat, and they always learn something after 5 reps...

About a year ago I thought: 'I'm really getting it, I'm really getting good.', then 6 months ago I realized I wasn't. I could beat up on White Belts and got man handled by the Purples and Browns. I cleaned all of my tools from the shed and started over at the basics. My tool set is now 3 things from each position. I am focusing on those 3 pieces and that is all. Then all of the sudden I figure out that if you perfect those tools, learn how to execute when its time, you become a monster on the mat. Now I'm realizing that by going back to the basics, I'm able to set people up to react into one of those 3 techniques, and whamo they are in my game now. Its an unexpected break through, and its how I found my 'REVELATION OF LINKAGE'.

No comments:

Post a Comment